Saturday, February 18, 2006

Never Have Your Dog Stuffed -- Alan Alda

This is Alan Alda's autobiography. It gets you drawn in from the sobering first line, "My mother didn't try to stab my father until I was 6." Alda paints a wonderful picture of what his childhood was like, having polio, growing up traveling around with a burlesque show, and being home schooled by various tutors. It is helped along by comical tales, like one of how you should let go of lost pets, not send them to the local taxidermist. Do not read this book if you are wanting a tell all tale of Hollywood nightlife. Alda stayed true to his wife of almost fifty years, and managed to raise three daughters in a normal home. This book is also not all about MASH. MASH, of course, is covered, but this book is more about Alda's childhood, and what went on in his head as a child, as well as when he got older, and the ideas he still has today. It's a delightful and hilarious read that I would recommend to all.

3 Comments:

At 3:32 PM, Blogger AtriaBooks said...

Can I recommend a book to you?

Prayers for the Assassin by John Ferrigno.

Its excellent. Its a thriller set in 2040 when the US is under Islamic control.

 
At 3:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice review, John. I think Jacob will soon be pulling for you to do one on Atlas Shrugged...he was telling me about it last night.

 
At 12:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since this seems to be the source to write about ideas for your review. I believe your next review should be "Atlas shrugged" by Ayn Rand, but I think that you can make good a detailed review of "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee. Thank you for changing your comment status so I am able to leave messages.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home