Wednesday, March 29, 2006

My Soap Box

OK people. I was watching Digging for the Truth on the History Channel, and I have to say this for all of the people who don't understand what a novel is: A novel is FICTION, and fiction is NOT REAL! Now that that is all clear, I am going to harp some more. Dan Brown is a novelist, and he writes OH YES, NOVELS! His book is not a bible, a textbook, an aid to the bible or any other sort of reference material concerning a possible holy bloodline or grail. Digging for the Truth is a good show, but when they, and multiple other weekly hour-long documentary type shows boast of 'disproving' Dan Brown's novel, that is like saying, "I proved that if an anvil really fell on Wiley Coyote, he would die, so Loony Tunes is wrong!" Well, congratulations, you just disproved a cartoon! The Da Vinci Code is a very good book. I think Mr. Brown would agree with me when I say that it is meant to be read that way-- as a novel. Maybe I will call him and see.... I have been reading a witness statement that he wrote, all 69 pages of it, and it is very good. It gives a lot of good information about his life, and his career as an author. You can download it here, but he states that if his novel makes people seek knowlege, that makes him happy. If his book serves as a catalyst for good theological discussions, that is great, but it isn't to be taken as a textbook. That is why he included the FACT, to clear up all the confusion. Heed his word.

1 Comments:

At 5:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! It makes me so glad that there are other people in the world that understand this! O.O I've been trying to tell my dad that since I read the stupid book... He says "blah blah... it tries to portray fictional things as fact"... no kidding, genius. >_< That's what fiction is SUPPOSED to do. It's supposed to be believable, you're supposed to buy into the story, otherwise it's boring. Stupid people make my brain sad.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home